What Should You Look For
In A Staging Company?
Looking for a staging company? Buyers beware!
With so many reali(ty) estate shows on TV these days, it’s not rare to see a staging hobbyist without any formal training opening their own home staging company.
Having a qualified and experienced stager can be essential if you want to sell property fast and for more money.
And since you’d probably rather avoid putting your faith into a staging company with no credentials or track record, how can you make sure that the staging company you hire is even qualified to help you?
There are several things to look out for:
1. Check if the stager you choose belongs to a reputable staging training organization.
Staging company professionals belonging to either one of these organizations have been formally trained in all aspects of staging, and are not just “winging it”.
2. A reputable home staging company is a member of the Real Estate Staging Association (RESA).
This is a governing body for the real estate industry, with a strict code of conduct. Members must be in good standing.
3. Make sure your stager has a degree in either interior design or interior decorating.
A history of staging for “friends and family” just isn’t enough. Specific use of design elements and principles is key to a pleasing design that will attract a buyer’s attention.
4. Check out the home staging company’s portfolio.
A picture tells a thousand words, and good home stagers create designs that will appear on the mls. Are the “after” photos successful in achieving inviting photos that draw a buyer in?
5. Does the staging company have solid testimonials?
Are there proven success stories to back up what they are saying they will deliver?
Here is a thing about testimonials that is often incorrectly assumed: some people feel that testimonials can easily be faked. While that may be true for some, such practice is actually illegal and subject to a steep fine and in some cases loss of business license.
A reputable company would never jeopardize their license by sticking a fake testimonial on their website.
So what about the less-than-reputable staging companies then?
Look for links to other business. Having a bunch of expert testimonials with no links may be an indication of foul play.
6. Does the home staging company promise to get back to you within 24 hours with a written proposal for staging fees? This way, not only do you know very quickly exactly how much investment you need to make in home staging, but it shows that the staging company is run with integrity and is well organized.
And finally, once on the phone with the stager, are they personable, approachable, and helpful in meeting your needs, or are they simply trying to sell you their services? Are they prompt in returning your calls and inquiries?
If excellent client service is upmost in their priorities, they’re running a business with integrity.
Hi, my name is Sally Weatherley, and I’m the owner of a Vancouver-based staging company called Exit Stage Right.
If all of the above is important to you in your choice of home staging company, I would love to hear from you. Call me for a free consultation; I can help you decide if hiring a home stager is right for you: 604-838-9431
-Sally Weatherley, a Vancouver-based home staging consultant